“BOTSWANA, Ready to do Business”
Botswana Investment and Trade Centre (BITC) is an integrated Investment and Trade Promotion Authority with an encompassing mandate of investment promotion and attraction; export promotion and development including management of the Nation Brand.
The organization plays a critical role of driving Botswana’s economic growth through attraction of FDI, domestic investment, facilitation of expansions and further spearheads the growth of exports by promoting locally manufactured goods to regional and international markets. BITC drives wealth creation for Batswana by creating platforms that will ensure increased citizen participation in the economy and create sustainable job opportunities. Of significant importance within the role of this organization is building and maintaining a positive and impressive image of our country locally and internationally.
Through this encompassing mandate, BITC has committed to deliver service excellence to ensure the ease of doing business for investors. This commitment is made possible by the Botswana One Stop Service Centre (BOSSC).
What is Botswana One Stop Service Centre?
BOSSC is an investment facilitation centre within BITC which houses relevant government agencies as a single cohesive structure that provides prompt, efficient and transparent services to investors. BOSSC has made available shortened and simple administrative procedures and guidelines for issuance of business approvals, permits and licenses, thereby removing bottlenecks faced by investors in establishing and running businesses in Botswana.
Services provided to investors through BOSSC include:
- Company and Business Registration
- Trade and Business License Applications
- Entry visas, work and residence permits
- Work Permit Exemptions
- Connection of utilities e.g. power, telecommunications and water
- Income Tax and VAT registration
- Access to industrial and commercial land
- Allocation of BITC factory space (subject to availability)
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Compliance
- Provision of information on the Botswana business climate, regulatory regime and investment opportunities
- Opening a Bank Account
- Provide specialist business advisory services.
Who is Eligible to Receive BOSSC Services
BOSSC assists investors to acquire government authorizations within the shortest possible time. Facilitation services through BOSSC are available to both new and existing investors, both local and foreign investors. BOSSC will receive applications for assistance from investors vetted/supported and accredited by Botswana Investment and Trade Centre (BITC), Botswana Development Corporation (BDC), Special Economic Zones Authority (SEZA) and SPEDU.
For the purposes of BOSSC, an investor is defined as any lawful business/enterprise established, acquired or expanded by a domestic or foreign investor in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Botswana, committing resources of economic value over a reasonable period of time, in anticipation of profit.
Projects to be facilitated by BOSSC should also demonstrate the following in order to be eligible to receive services;
- Number and quality/level of employment created;
- Potential for skills and technology transfer;
- Utilization of local raw materials in the production process;
- Potential for export and import substitution;
- Potential to create backward and forward linkages;
- Innovation and creativity;
- Priority sector under the Economic Diversification Drive (EDD).
Priority Sectors for Facilitation Through BOSSC
In line with government’s desire to diversify the economy away from over reliance in the mineral sector, the BOSSC will facilitate investment within productive sectors of the economy to create employment opportunities. The following priority sectors for investment will be facilitated through BOSSC;
- Agriculture & Agro-processing;
- Mining & mineral beneficiation;
- Financial and Business Services;
- Business Process Outsourcing
- Innovation and Information Communication Technology (ICT);
- Transport, Cargo and Logistics;
- Hospitality & Tourism;
- Education & Skills Development;
- Qualifying projects sponsored by Government Economic Hubs;
- Qualifying projects of strategic national importance.