Companies are registered by the Registrar of Companies and Intellectual Property (ROCIP):
Plot 181, Kgale Mews, P.O. Box 102, Gaborone, Botswana.
ROCIP also has offices in Francistown, Serowe and Maun. There are two steps to incorporate a company and register a business: reservation of company/business name, and submission of incorporation documents as described below:
Reservation of Company or Business Name
ROCIP requires a reservation fee of P20.00 is payable upon submission of Form 1 for company name and Form RBN 1A for business name. The expected turnaround time is five days. An online database of company names can be accessed to prevent duplicates (http://www.mtinamesearch.gov.bw/search/) subject to verification by ROCIP.
Requirements for Company Registration
Upon confirmation that the proposed company/business name is available, Company registration forms should be submitted. They are available for download on the Ministry of Trade and Industry’s website (www.mti.gov.bw).
- Directors’ personal details
- Residential address – plot number, location, ward, village or town; and
- Full postal address.
- If a representative is applying on behalf of the applicant, a letter authorizing the representative should be submitted.
The following documents should be submitted:
- Form 2 and Form 3 for a company limited by shares;
- Form 2A and Form 3 for a closed company;
- Form 2B and Form 3 for a company limited by guarantee;
- Form 3 (declaration) to be filled by a qualified Company Secretary recognized by the Act or a Director/member of a company;
- The person presenting the application should provide their address, telephone or mobile numbers in the spaces provided;
- The person presenting the application should attach certified copies of their identity card or passport
- Certified copies of identity documents for the proposed directors and shareholders and a practising certificate for the Company Secretary;
- Two (2) original bound sets of all documents are required
- P360.00 registration fee of payable upon submission and acceptance of registration documents
- In case of a business, name registration form RBN 2 should be completed and submitted with a copy of the applicant’s identity document and P150.00 registration fee.
It should be noted that reservations business/company names are only valid for 30 days and only valid reservations are accepted for business/company registrations. If more than 30 days have elapsed, the business/company must be reserved again through the process listed above.
Company Registration Process Map