As a non-profit organisation the Botswana Investment and Trade Centre (BITC) has implemented a comprehensive Corporate Social Investment (CSI) policy encouraging employees to volunteer in the community and participate in and team building. Furthermore, BITC has formed a “Brand Champions” committee, leading the wider BITC team in CSI projects and initiatives.
The objectives of CSI at BITC are:
- Improving the quality of life for Batswana through sustainable contributions
- Promoting and instilling BITC values among employees and encouraging a culture of sharing and community engagement9 among employees
- Promoting BITC’s reputation as an organisation involved in developing social wellbeing in Botswana
- Contribute towards educating Batswana in ICT and innovative technologies
- Support the development of people living with disabilities and serious health issues
- Improve the lives of children through community involvement
Currently, BITC is aiding the construction of a Guidance and Counselling centre at Ikageng Junior Secondary School in Metsimotlhabe, west of Gaborone. The project is expected to break ground on 7th February 2014.